Sunday, September 6, 2009

Siestas, Salsa, Children & Capris

Things I like about Spain: SIESTAS! Here they designate 2-5pm everyday as siesta time. What is looked down upon in the US, taking a nap in the afternoon after eating a huge lunch (did you know that’s how they get summa wrestlers to be so fat?), is the way of life here in Spain! Granted, real Spaniards probably only take a 30 minute nap during siesta time, and I tend to take advantage of the full three hours…but hey I’m not claiming to be a Spaniard yet. Though I’m really beginning to grow a strong love for this country. I start classes tomorrow and I am very much looking forward to them. School is about a ten minute walk from mi casa, and I must say that walking past a beautiful bridge overlooking a river and ornate buildings is much more serene and visually captivating than walking from east to west campus at APU. This weekend has been a great start to a new semester of adventures. On Friday night a bunch of us went to a restaurant/bar that becomes a salsa club at midnight. It was fun to dance salsa, and reminded me of Thursday nights in Fresno at the Starline. The Spanish nightlife is unlike anything I have ever seen; people crowd the streets until 2 in the morning and beyond, we’re talking people EVERYWHERE. It’s safe to say that the streets become more crowded at night than in the afternoons here. I also think Spaniards are friendlier at night. During the day it is literally impossible to get them to smile at you.  I didn’t realize how much I smile at people during the day at home and how nice it is to get that smile back in return. Not here, and trust me, I’ve been experimenting. I’ve tried several times per day to smile at passerby and they either look at you and just stare expressionless, or they look away. I was offended by this at first, but am learning to accept this, as this is their culture, and their reasoning is “why smile at you if I don’t know you”. Another thing I like about Spain: The children. I have never seen cuter kids in my entire life. The way they are dressed, the way their hair is combed, their faces, everything is so darn cute. They wear cute little suspender pinstripe short-overall outfits that make you want to just grab the kids up and take them home with you. Yes yes, I know, that would get me thrown in jail.  Seriously though, I thought Mexican children were the cutest things ever, but that was before I laid my eyes on the children of Spain. Mom, Dad, want to adopt one?!

Today, three of my friends and I attended mass at the cathedral here in Sevilla. It is said to be the largest Gothic cathedral in the entire world. With the stained glass inside and the architecture both in and out, it was absolutely breathtaking. Afterwards, though most things are closed here on Sundays, we found an open ice cream place and sat outside in the plaza and people watched, which is a very interesting thing to do in Europe. The men with their short neon shorts and cargo capris really kill me. I feel like men just couldn’t get away with those capris in the states. But by all means, if anyone wants a pair send in your requests to me now.

 

Vale! Hasta luego!

Meaganita (that’s for you Michael and Maren) 

2 comments:

  1. Meaganita!!

    I love your "experiment"...you make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are cute. i love and miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete