Thursday, September 3, 2009

Settling in to Sevilla




 

Well, I've officially been in Spain for two days now! I must admit I've had a bit of a rocky start to the "Adventure of a Lifetime." First I came down with the flu right before I was supposed to leave and of course as luck would have it, it turned into the stomach flu the night I was staying in Chicago and was supposed to catch my flight to Spain the next day. I must say that being nauseas on an airplane has got to be one of the most uncomfortable feelings ever. I dubbed my night in Chicago as the most miserable night ever, but that was before I knew last night was on the realm of existence, where I experienced the most severe bout of homesickness I believe anyone could ever feel. Thank you culture shock, for kicking in so soon. Really, you could have stayed away for a few days or so. I know how much I love my family, but I didn't expect to miss them to the severity of which I do. But thanks to the prayers and support of many people last night I was able to overcome my night of temporary insanity and today was a wonderful day in the city of Sevilla. I'd like to blame my extreme homesickness on the fact that a) I still didn't feel good, b) It's like 145 degrees here and my host family doesn't believe in air conditioning. I thought I would be able to use the fan, but apparently that's a no-no at night, c) the food here has this strange aroma and we eat a combination of things like egg pancakes and salad for dinner, and I felt like my stomach couldn't handle too much of it, so I hadn't been eating very much, and d) JET LAG. Boy, they weren't kidding when they said it really turns you around. Wide awake at four in the morning. It was like 7 pm California time so of course it makes sense that I wouldn't be at all sleepy.

Today we had our first day of orientation, along with a placement test, which my fingers are crossed that I place high enough to get into the advanced classes, because those are the only classes that transfer to APU! It was so fun getting to know the people in my group a little better, and we got to continue that process of getting to know each other on a walking tour of the city tonight! It was beyond beautiful. We had an authentic Spanish tour guide who showed us all the landmarks and beautiful architecture. I'm meeting some really cool people, which is making the transition easier, and am excited for the activities that the program has planned for us in the upcoming months, as well as the travel I hope to do outside of Spain. To all of you back home, I love and miss you!

Ps. Dear all Spanish flight attendants of the world, you can stop being so grumpy, you’re making a bad first impression for those who are entering your country for the first time. Especially you, Mr. Flight Attendant of Iberia Airlines, I understand there is a bit of a language barrier, but next time I ask for ginger ale, don’t get hostile because you think I’m asking for beer.

Adios! (Ya'll better start practicing your spanish, because one of these days I'm going to write a blog post in espanol!) 

3 comments:

  1. Meagan! I am so happy for you, and relieved, and that you got through the first couple of days!! PIctures are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Espero y te diviertas mucho por allaaaa jaa jaaa si no entiendes el espanol no importa eso toma tiempo

    ReplyDelete